Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Timeliness of God

I have been pondering on this question for the past couple of days ….. When do the growing pains cease? (In this journey of life, in our relationships, and self-discovery). Any thoughts?

Back to the subject, I totally love it how God sends these fabulous messages that address the very heart of what you’re going through and He did just that this morning!! I feel rather restless as I have not mastered the art of grace in periods of transition, but I wonder who has? Anyhow, I get these daily emails from the Ransomed Heart (awesome ministry!) with an excerpt from Waking the dead which totally encouraged me and I would like to share it with you:

If then you are wise, you will show yourself rather as a reservoir than as a canal. A canal spreads abroad water as it receives it, but a reservoir waits until it is filled before overflowing, and thus without loss to itself [it shares] its superabundant water. (Bernard of Clairvuex)

A beautiful picture. The canal runs dry so quickly, shortly after the rains subside. Like a dry streambed in the desert. But a reservoir is a vast and deep reserve of life. We are called to live in a way that we store up reserves in our heart, and then offer from a place of abundance. As Jesus said, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has been instructed about the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old” (Matt 13:52). I’m thinking, Storeroom? What storeroom? “The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart…for out of the overflow of his heart, his mouth speaks” (Luke 6:45 emphasis added).

He goes on to say, “I live like a canal. I look like a reservoir when the rains come, but shortly after, I’m dried up again.” And I’m like OMG!! That is totally me and I don’t want that to me my story again! I want Him to engineer every inch of me so that I truly contain His DNA and His blood so that when the rain does come I don’t run dry and be in a place to pour out to those in need.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I read that email today too! I know sometimes I run on empty. Like I use up all that I got from my last encounter with God, and I don't go back frequently enough to be filled up. Nice one love!

    ReplyDelete